Thursday, December 20, 2012

Quarter Life Crisis


Yesterday I picked up the weekly free itunes gift card from Starbucks, and this time it was a rental for the movie Happy. I wasn't expecting to watch it, but today as I nursed my hangover from last night's annual Eggnog at AYC, I decided to give it a try. One thing I can say with certainty is that these days, happy is not how I would always describe myself. For various reasons, I feel almost completely torn down and overwhelmed. It shows too. When I taught sailing a few years ago as a summer job, all the kids called me "Smiley." Cheesy, but apparently I was always smiling. Lately I don't feel quite as exuberant; circumstances are wearing on me, and I feel kindof frustrated with myself at most given times. One thing that I really picked up on from watching Happy is that people who change their routines often tend to be more cheerful. Also, we tend to have a certain state that we return to after either positive or negative changes, Our happiness resting point can vary from person to person. I would say that my happiness resting point has gone down lately, and I'm thinking I can chalk it up to a quarter life crisis. Things career-wise are a little out of my control, and family and friends are sometimes uncertain as well, just because of silly dramas. As of today, I'm currently on the lookout for all the little things that do make me very happy, even if only for a moment, so I can look on those things and make a positive change in my daily happiness resting point, so I can get this ridiculous mentality balanced, and not be such a worrier. Things currently making me very happy:
1. Today, for the first time since I got my real estate license in August, a friend/peer contacted me asking for help BUYING a house! Exciting!


2. My sexy lace Victoria's Secret dress that I wore last night! Definitely the only one of it's kind there, and I loved every minute of wearing it
3. Christmas shopping for James; it's true that it really is better to give than receive, and I keep coming up with more things that I think he'd love and his big wooden cigar box (my gift wrapping of choice for him) of presents is getting full already in spite of my best efforts to not go overboard this year
4. Going to see family in Montclair this weekend for the Christmas party
5. Thinking about the future, and what I'm really really  hoping it holds for me if I can make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment